On This Page
What Are Location Pages?
A location page is a dedicated page about a specific business location.
For example, if you are a local business you should have a dedicated page for each location that you have a physical office in.
Example: An HVAC company would have separate pages for each office location:
- Tampa, FL
- St. Pete, FL
- Clearwater, FL
What Is Duplicate Content in Local SEO?
If a website has two pages that are exact copies of each other, or if the majority of content on both of those pages is the same, this would be considered duplicate content.
When it comes to local SEO, many businesses will create multiple location pages in order to target multiple cities. While this can be an effective approach, often times they are done poorly.
What I mean by that is that someone will create a location page for location #1, then make a copy of that page for location #2, and then they only swap out the city name in the content.
That is not the best idea. It’s highly possible that the work you just did will not pay off. These pages are unlikely to rank if they are seen as “low-quality” in Google’s eyes. If two pages are 99% the same, then search engines will not see them as unique and may only choose to rank one of the pages, not all of them.
You catch my drift?
Can Location Pages Be Considered Duplicate Content?
Yes, they absolutely can be! But that’s only if they are not done properly. If you invest time into make them unique, they won’t be considered duplicate content.
How to Make Unique Location Pages
It’s not hard to make location pages unique. But it does take some manual effort. That’s why many people end up doing it the lazy way (copy a page and swap out the location name).
But if you want the time and effort you put into creating location pages to pay off, then I recommend making each page as unique as possible.
Don’t forget, these pages should actually be helpful to users also.
Location Page Checklist
There are quite a few things you can add to location pages to make them unique.
If you have time, you should read Phil Rozek’s article “Template for Creating Knockout City-Page Content for Local SEO“.
I’ve created my own checklist here that you can use in addition to his.
Each location page can include:
- Business name, address and phone number
- An embedded Google Business Profile listing of the business name (not just the address). Driving directions might be a Google Maps ranking factor. Make sure to embed the correct Google Map on your site.
- Describe the overall business
- Describe the business location
- Discuss what services are offered at this location
- Write about the city the location is in
- Mention your favorite places in the city
- List partners and / or complimentary businesses
- Type out old school driving directions
- Insert reviews or testimonials from customers in the city
- Add photos from employees or jobs in the city
- Use this awesome questionnaire from Phil Rozek to come up with ideas for other city-specific topics you can write about on each location page
Location Pages: Unique Content Template
Use this free Google Sheets template to create unique content if you need to create multiple location pages!
Location Page Experts
In conclusion, if you’re a business with one physical location or multiple physical locations, I recommend creating unique location pages for each one so that you can grow your organic traffic. But make sure each one is unique!
At CONTENTAMIGO our focus is creating stellar local SEO content. If you need assistance finding the right keywords to target on a local level or need location pages created, we’d love to help! Just place an order!